Stichting Verenigde Adoptanten Amerikaanse Oorlogsgraven
- This database is a project of the Dutch non-profit organization Stichting Verenigde Adoptanten Amerikaanse Oorlogsgraven (Foundation United Adopters American War Graves), formerly known as Adoptiegraven.nl. This foundation has set as its goal to honor American World War II servicemen who have fought and died for freedom of others and who have been buried in overseas American War Cemeteries, in particular the American War Cemeteries Ardennes, Henri-Chapelle, and Margraten. We hope to achieve this goal by doing research to this men so that we can give their names a 'face.' However, the foundation is also involved in other activities. To learn more about these activities and how you can support us, please visit our website.
- Adoptiegraven.nl | Forum
- Forum of Adoptiegraven.nl. Main goal of this forum is helping adopters in their research and to be a place where adopters can meet each other.
- Adoptiegraven.nl | Shop
- In the Adoptiegraven.nl | Shop we sell various services and products. If you buy any of them, you will support the foundation and our projects.
- Fallen But Not Forgotten
- The website Fallen But Not Forgotten contains many stories of the soldiers who are buried at the American War Cemetery Margraten. The website is maintained by two adopters.
- In Honored Glory
- In Honored Glory contains stories from soldiers who are buried at the American War Cemetery in Belgium. Other than that the website contains also more information about the Cemetery self, the war in general and soldiers who were reburied in the United States.
- Battle at Best
- This website is dedicated to the liberators of World War II. Ordinary people who answered their call of duty to ensure freedom for all. Valiant men and women who gave all and sacrificed more than we could ask for. On this website you’ll find stories of those men and women. Stories of daily life during the war years or stories of battle.
- Missing in Action
- The Foundation Missing in Action is conducting investigations for service members who are Missing in Action. By means of performing investigations, gaining knowledge and hearing stories of eyewitnesses, Foundation "Stichting" Missing In Action (M.I.A.) might find clues that eventually could lead to the excavation of a WWII missing soldier: this is the ultimate goal for Foundation "Stichting" Missing In Action (M.I.A.). To achieve this goal we focus especially on European WWII battlefields like “The Battle of the Bulge” and “Operation Market-Garden”. These battlefields are most obvious for us to research, because we operate from The Netherlands.
- American Battle Monument Commission
- The American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) was established by Congress in 1923 to commemorate the service, achievements, and sacrifice of U.S. armed forces where they have served overseas since 1917, and within the U.S. when directed by public law.
The ABMC commemorative mission is reflected in 24 overseas military cemeteries that serve as resting places for almost 125,000 American war dead; on Tablets of the Missing that memorialize more than 94,000 U.S. servicemen and women; and through 25 memorials, monuments and markers.
- National WWII Memorial
- The World War II Memorial honors the 16 million who served in the armed forces of the U.S., the more than 400,000 who died, and all who supported the war effort from home. Symbolic of the defining event of the 20th Century, the memorial is a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the American people. The Second World War is the only 20th Century event commemorated on the National Mall's central axis.
- Foundation for Adopting Graves at the American Cemetery of Margraten
- The American Cemetery lies along the Maastricht-Vaals motorway in the municipality of Margraten. One of the largest cemeteries in the world, it contains the graves of no less than 8301 liberators, nearly all of them Americans. The white marble crosses and stars of David are memorials to the often young soldiers who paid the ultimate price in World War II so that we could live in freedom today.
Many of the graves at the cemetery are bedecked with flowers, brought by people who have adopted the grave of a fallen soldier and by doing so wish to express their thanks to the fallen soldiers and their surviving relatives.
- Le Cercle Royal "Le BRISCARD"
- Created in 1992, on Mr. Arsène DEBATISSE' s initiative, at that time Chairman of the Royal Society "Le Briscard" and supported by the board of directors, the ceremony of homage and remembrance was born. We remember American soldiers killed in action to liberate our country in 1944 and also during the bloody Battle of the bulge during the hard winter from December 1944 to January 1945.
- Memorial Center Akkers van Margraten
- This website contains all information about the huge American Cemetery which can be found in the town of Magraten.
On this website are several different projects about this Cemetery. Some of these project started working together under the name of "stichting Memorial Center Akkers van Margraten". This foundation took the initiative to build this website. The foundation wants to keep the history and memory, from this cemetery, alive. They focus on the human storys behind this cemetery. This is not only about the soldiers, but also about the eyewitness stories from those who were there when this cemetery was build and were some of them adopted one of the graves.
- 56th Fighter Group in World War II
- This website is respectfully dedicated to the memory of the 56th Fighter Group and its associate support groups. In the skies over Europe during 1943-1945 the 56th established itself as the USAAF's top fighter group and created a legacy that will never be surpassed
Are you visiting The Netherlands and are you planning a visit to historic places which are related to the epic "A Bridge Too Far" Operation Market Garden in September 1944? Are you looking for a local guide who possesses in-depth knowledge on this topic? Market Garden Tours can provide a specialised tour guide who is a member of the International Guild of Battlefield Guides. Four tours are available and on request a Bespoke Tour can be arranged to suit your specific requirements.